Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Homemade Syrup

When I was a kid my family ate lots of pancakes, waffles and french toast.  With five kids in the family, we went through a LOT of syrup.  I believe my mother was very wise, as she always made her own syrup and probably saved a ton of money by doing so.  Ever since, I've always preferred homemade syrup, unless I have the money to fork out for a jar of the real thing (like the kind made from maple trees in Vermont).  Since I usually can't muster the courage to empty my wallet on a 12oz. jar of genuine maple syrup, I resolved to make my own just as my mother did and still does.  The pros:  I can determine the amount of sugar, the thickness, the flavor and the cost.  The cons:  it's not the real deal.  Try it out:

Homemade Maple Syrup
1 cup water
1 cup corn syrup
1 1/2-2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. Mapleine imitation maple (I prefer this brand, but it can be substituted with any imitation maple)
1/2 tsp. butter extract (optional)

In a large saucepan, combine water, corn syrup and sugar over medium-high heat.  Stir often; bring to a boil.  While stirring, allow mixture to boil for about another 30 seconds.  Remove from heat.  Stir in Mapleine and butter extract if desired.  Mix well and let cool.

The syrup will thicken as it cools.  If you want thicker syrup, you can boil it a little longer or increase the amount of corn syrup.  

No comments:

Post a Comment