Thursday, April 29, 2010

Salad for Dinner

I discovered this recipe the year my little brother graduated from high school.  I made it for his graduation party, and ever since it has been a summer staple.  It works well as a side and is perfect for a lighter dinner.  The ingredients are fresh and simple, which I love.  When I make it for family gatherings, I can usually find my sister commandeering the entire bowl for herself!

Tortellini, Broccoli and Bacon Salad
2 bags (19 oz each) frozen cheese-filled tortellini
4 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cherry tomatoes, each cut in half
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 cup reduced-fat coleslaw dressing
1 lb. bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled
1/4 sunflower nuts


Cook and drain tortellini as directed on package.  Rinse with cold water; drain.
In large (seriously large--maybe 4 qt. minimum) bowl, mix tortellini, broccoli, tomatoes, chives and dressing.  Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors.
Just before serving, stir in bacon.  Sprinkle with nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment